Hey there. I am a freelance media specialist based in Cape Town South Africa. Before turning freelance I was editor of Getaway, Africa’s première travel brand. I’m a pretty diverse character and am able to write and photograph as well as manage bigger content projects such as editing of a commercial magazine the size of Getaway.
I’m interested in all forms of communication media, and more and more am working as a content marketing strategist who has an intimate understanding of the subtle nuances which make appropriate content easily digestible.
My life so far (i.e. my CV)
MSc Marine Biology (UCT) 1999
BSc (Hons) in Marine Biology (UCT) 1993
BSc Zoology and Oceanography (UCT) 1992
Languages: English, Afrikaans, basic Spanish
February 2010 – May 2014: Editor, Getaway
April 2004 – January 2010: Freelance Editor, Writer and Photographer
- Editor of Wild the quarterly magazine of the Wild Card Programme.
- Lifestyle Editor of What’s New Doc (Health24.com)
- Editor of Mitsubishi’s Xplore magazine (New Media Publishing).
- Feature Writing:
Local and international publications including GQ, Getaway, Maverick, BBC Wildlife, African Geographic, Africa Birds and Birding, Expressions, Weg, Divestyle, Drive Out.
- Local and international publications – National Geographic.com, Nature, Getaway, Maverick, BBC Wildlife, GQ, African Geographic, Africa Birds and Birding, Weg, Divestyle.
- Ford, FNB Bank, Nissan
- Just Add Dust (2005, Kwela)
- The Getaway Guide to the Kruger National Park (2005, Sunbird)
- Picture Perfect Cape Town and Garden Route (2007, Struik)
- Public Speaking & Teaching:
- Compare Getaway Show
- Various photography courses
May 2003 – April 2004: Travelling South America
My wife Justine and I travelled north to south through South America researching material for a book and various features.
June 2000 – April 2003: Senior Photojournalist, Getaway Magazine
My responsibilities included writing and photographing features, including numerous cover stories, editing the Gearing Up column which reviewed the latest gadgets and gear. In addition I was tasked with all studio photography during my time at the magazine.
January 2000 – June2000: SRK Consulting, environmental consultant
Employed on contract at the engineering firm SRK, working on the environmental impacts of new cell phone base stations
January 1997 – January 2000: Anchor Environmental Consultants
Founding partner and consultant. In this position I was responsible for numerous specialist marine impact assessments. In addition I operated as Anchor’s business manager, in charge of finance.
- Efficient, consultative management style
- Good time management
- Effective working in teams or alone
- Particular about quality with specific attention to detail
- Innovative and imaginative approach to features
- Excellent problem solving capabilities
- Financially savvy
- Computer literate
- Excellent public speaker and educator
- Friendly outgoing personality
- Accomplished writer
- Adept editor
- Proficient digital photographer
- Excellent computer skills including:
- Adobe Indesign (working knowledge)
- Adobe Photoshop (thorough working knowledge)
- Microsoft Word Excel & Power Point (excellent)
- Html & web design (working)
- Public Speaking and event management
Interests and Hobbies
These are varied. I am a keen backpacker and climber and spend large amounts of time exploring mountain environments. In addition I am an experienced scuba diver and hold numerous sport and commercial diving qualifications. My indoor interests include reading – I have a particular fondness for second-hand books – military history, theatre, cooking and good wine.
Please e-mail me for the contact details of appropriate references.